Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Final Reflection


At the beginning of this class, I only knew what I had gleaned from my other classes, which was nothing very technical and all focused on creating and researching a story for documentaries. I wasn't very confident in my film language before this class, so I would always question whether I really knew what someone meant when they said an OTS or a reverse shot. So I was excited to learn another side of the filming process that I really had no clue about before and solidify my wavering knowledge. Technically, I knew nothing. What is ISO? What is striking? What is the difference between a zoom and prime lens? I had no clue before.

Where am I now? I feel MUCH more confident about using filmmaking terms and have a better grasp on at least the surface of the technical world of film. Am I a technical genius? In no shape or form! But I know enough to continue to teach myself, and that is a GIANT leap from where I was at the beginning. Taking this class has definitely proven that documentary is what I want to do. Planning for the portrait of a place was more comfortable and natural, and the scene assignment took more focus and control for me to keep up with all that goes into fiction production.

I believe doing the scene assignment was very helpful, and opened my eyes to what I am capable of when it comes to fiction films. Cinematography has always been important in my mind, but taking this class has helped me appreciate the work that cinematographers do. This class has also helped me find my own style in filmmaking, and has showed me how to make things look good.

No comments:

Post a Comment